[Xastir] D700A + GPS + Xastir

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Mon May 3 07:46:38 EDT 2004

On May 3, 2004, at 1:13 AM, Josh Keller wrote:

> Is there a way to connect a GPS to the D700A, then connect the D700A to
> Xastir and have Xastir grab the GPS coordinates? I've tried adding an
> interface with the Serial TNCw/ GPS on HSP cable option but that
> doesn't
> seem to work.

I used "serial tnc w/gps on aux port" with my D7; I suspect it will
work for the D700, too.  Make sure the D700 is in packet mode, not aprs
mode.

I had someone hint that there was one of the hidden menu modes for the
D700 where you could have it echo received data out to the serial port
and still use the arps mode in the D700.  Can anyone confirm this?

> On a side note, what type of antenna would you suggest for our base
> station,
> which will be used 99% of the time strictly for RX. Right now I've
> built
> myself a groundplane out of welding rods which seems to work good.but
> is
> there anything better that can be home built or purchased relatively
> cheap?

I built a "roll-up J-pole" out of 300 ohm twin-lead (old style TV
antenna cable) that works much better than the ground plane I built out
of brazing rods.  Cost was about $0.75 for the twin lead plus an old
already terminated rg58 cable I had lying around.  Do a Google search
for "roll up J pole".

-Jason
kg4wsv