[Xastir] More Xastir questions.

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun May 9 17:43:51 EDT 2004

On Sat, 8 May 2004, KK6RW wrote:

> Randy at main ~src/xastir
> $ make install
> Making install in src
> make[1]: Entering directory ~/home/Randy/src/xastir/src'
> make[2] Entering directory ~/home/Randy/src/xastir/src'
> /bin/bash ..mkinstalldirs /usr/local/bin
>   /usr/bin/install -c xastir.exe /usr/local/bin/xastir.exe
> /usr/bin/install: cannot remove ~/usr/local/bin/xastir': Permission denied

That should be trying to remove "xastir.exe", not "xastir".

If you manually remove /usr/local/bin/xastir.exe, then the script
should be happy.

> $ chmod 4555 /usr/local/bin/xastir
> chmod: changing permissions of ~/usr/local/bin/xastir': No such file or
> directory

Again, it is xastir.exe on Cygwin.

> As it says there are errors, I'm assuming there is something worong with
> either my syntax or something missing that I need to install. I have had
> anumber of small problems trying to get Xastir up and running on my system.
> I'm wondering if I have a good install of Cygwin.

You can always re-run "setup.exe" from Cygwin and update it.  They
change it _often_.

> I would certainly appreciate any comments or suggestions on ways to get the
> Shapelib feature working.

I'll give you my standard comment, even though you mentioned in
another message that you need to run Windows right now:  Run Linux
or Unix of some type instead.  Targets that Xastir supports are
MacOSX, Solaris, FreeBSD, or Linux.  Any of those will work much
more cleanly and faster than Xastir/Cygwin.

Cygwin does work though.  Hang in there.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer