[Xastir] New install on FC1

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue May 11 10:08:01 EDT 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004, KC7ZRU wrote:

> OK guys - I'm get'n just a "wee bit" frustrated with my head pounding
> here. I've a perfectly functioning xastir install here at the house on
> RH 7.3 - but my FC1 setup at the office is give'n me some serious
> aggrivation (and it was all look'n pretty good last week! Then I tried
> to *do* things with it, like use the features beyond online tigermaps).
> Reference earlier question about what I assumed was a problem w/
> ImageMagick - it ain't. Tarball, RPM, different versions - same effect.
>
> Now, to clarify, the problem is the srb_xxx.geo files are NOT showing up
> in the Map Chooser - not that they aren't displaying like my feeble
> brain reported to itself Saturday. I've checked and double checked
> permissions - same as at the house. Even waxed out my source directory
> and sucked down a fresh go from CVS today. I even went so far as to SCP
> into my home machine and snarf over the exact same
> /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/geos/srb_*.geo files that are working at
> home. Re-indexing, restart, delete map_index.sys, re-start, re-index all
> in various sequences - no chage.

Is it possible that you've run a quite-old Xastir on there at some
point and your xastir.cnf file has the wrong paths in it?  You
should be pointing at /usr/share/local/xastir/maps these days, not
/usr/local/xastir/maps or any other place.  Check that file.

Go into the maps directories where you're having troubles with the
files and try "display filename".  Make sure that ImageMagick has
the proper support compiled in for the map types you're dealing
with.

I assume your summary.log file shows ImageMagick if you're able to
access online maps.  Here's what mine looks like (SuSE 9.0):

AX25 Festival GPSMan ShapeLib ImageMagick libProj GeoTiff GDAL/OGR PCRE Dbfawk

Check your ~/.xastir/config/map_index.sys file to see if those maps
got indexed at all.