[Xastir] Re: laptop (APRSdos works great!)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon May 17 12:21:40 EDT 2004

This is from the APRSSIG.  Interesting stuff.  I added comments here
as to what Xastir supports.

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> APRSdos still runs fine on those machines.  And for large
> areas, APRSdos maps do not suffer the map gloat problem
> that is, there is so much map clutter that you cannot
> easily and quickly see where the Ham assets are!
> And the maps fully zoom from the coutny to the world...
> and it all fits on a single floppy.  (2 if you want your
> area maps)...
>
> Also, APRSdos does all that APRS was designed to do
> that was overlooked by most WIndows clones:
> 1) Displays PHG circles around all stations (option)
> 2) Dead reckons moving stations
> 3) Shows elapsed time since posit on all posits
> 4) Many Symbols POINT in the direction they are going
> 5) All maps zoom from local to world

Xastir implements all of the above.

> 6) Maps are crude (Focus on COMMs not streets)

Xastir _can_ render crude maps, if the user so desires.

> 7) Plots Signal strength contours for DFing by signal strength
> 8) Predicts FOX position from equal signal strength reports

If these are fade-circle DF'ing, we don't do it.  If they're part of
omni-DF'ing, we do.

> 9) Displays ambiguity circles

Xastir displays ambiguity rectangles.  We have a disagreement with
Bob on how to display these.

> 10) Supports ZIPLAN (hook many PC's to one TNC with zip cord)

We don't have this.

> 11)  Decaying periodicities on ALL packets (POS, OBJ's MSGS)

We have this now for objects/items/messages, but not for the station
position.

> 12) Auto QRM adjust for local real-time event or 24/7 grass growing

We don't do this.  I assume this is the setup where the station
backs off on it's transmit rate if the channel is busier.

> 12) Velocity vectors are logirithmic
>        a) 0 speed still shows about a 1/4" heading vector
>        a) Walking speeds are easy to see (up to about 3/8" long or so)
>        b) 60 MPH Cars are about an inch long
>        c) 600 MPH airplanes are about 2 inches long
> 13) TRAFFIC plots lines between stations in QSO

We don't do either of these.

> 14) SMART Acking makes for blazing QSO's
> 15) Range scale shown on all maps for easy reference

We do these.

> DOWNSIDE:  No internet (APRS designed for LOCAL RF ops!)
> Maps are poor.  But you can make your own with the built-in
> utilities.. and edit any of the existing ones.

Of course we have internet connection capability.

> I have about 4 old laptops in a suitcase that I can carry
> to an event, and hook them all via clip leads to pins
> shoved in a piece of ZIP cord and have all 4 laptops
> working from the same TNC (no sys-admin assist requried).
>
> Plus, with the one floppy, I can load APRSdos on any
> available PC's and via 2 clip leads on their serial ports,
> they too can join the ZIPlan...

I don't have a major desire to support ziplan, particulary with
RS-232 serial ports going away on most PC's/laptops.  Wireless
and/or bluetooth are probably the method to accomplish this in the
future, or a wired ethernet hub.  I suppose we could do it with USB
as well.