[Xastir] how to compile ax25 support into xastir ?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Nov 3 11:40:11 EST 2004

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 ph.ttv at free.fr wrote:

> Use xastir is so dificult for me as ... speaking english ;)

That's ok, I don't speak French very well either...  ;-)

> First how to compile ax25 support into xastir ?
> I have tried ./configure --with-ax25 but I have the same error ("ax25 not
> compiled into xastir")

Forget the "--with-ax25" portion for new installs.  It will compile
it in automatically if the correct files are present on your system.
For SuSE I have these packages installed:

    libax25
    ax25-doc
    ax25-tools
    ax25spyd
    ax25-apps

I believe only the libax25 & ax25-tools packages are required, but
you might also need the ax25-apps one to get things going with
Xastir.

Perhaps someone running Mandrake 9.2 can give you specific
instructions for your system.

> Secondly how to use the filter into the internet menu (filter for internet
> interface) : I want only ham stations Fxxxx and Gxxxx by example.
> is it possible ?

You need to be connected to a port that is capable of filtering.
Usually that is port 14580 on a lot of the servers.  There are
instructions out there for how to configure the filter strings.

As an example, I'm connected to firenet.us:14580 and using a filter
string of "t/oimnt" on one of my interfaces.

Speaking of internet connections, people reported this morning that
your station was gating objects from firenet back onto the internet
feeds.  That might be due to a bug in Xastir, if you haven't changed
the Xastir source code at all on your system.  Please consider only
connecting to firenet.us for now, or only connecting to the INET
feeds.  Connecting to both servers appears to get objects gated in a
direction that we don't want.  Firenet was created so that we could
have a large number of objects on there and not "bother" the people
on the INET feeds that didn't want to see them.

Could you send me (direct) a copy of your
~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf file, and please let me know whether
you're running Xastir-1.4.0 as downloaded, or have changed the code
in some way?  Thanks!