[Xastir] Xastir leaking (socket) file descriptors?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Nov 4 10:49:20 EST 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Tapio Sokura wrote:

> Hmmh, I just remembered, that I have compiled festival support into
> Xastir as well, but I am not running festival. When I run Xastir from a
> terminal, I get those
>
> festival_client: connect to server failed
>
> errors printed to the screen with regular intervals, as is expected
> since I don't have festival running. I counted the number of festival
> errors printed to the console since Xastir startup and compared that
> with the number of those funny open files shown by lsof and they seem to
> match. Do we have a winner? I also had festival support compiled into
> the previous Xastir CVS version I had and got those same errors printed
> to stderr, but it never ate up the file descriptors.

That one has been reported before.  It might have something to do
with your kernel version, as a very few people seem to have that
trouble.  I regularly compile in Festival support but fail to run
the daemon, and I don't have the problem here.

The code can regularly try to establish the connection to the
daemon, probably due to your having selected some speech settings.
Try turning off speech and the connection retries will probably
stop.

The connections that don't make it should die and be wiped from the
tables.  I don't know why they aren't getting cleared out.