[Xastir] map levels don't work

Wes Johnston wes at kd4rdb.com
Sun Nov 7 15:04:28 EST 2004

I am running the latest CVS update 1.4.2 (not that it has any bearing in this
context)...

I started by installing apt-get version of xastir which was 1.3.x .

Everything worked fine then... apt-get installed shapelib for me, gpsman, lots
of other extras.

I wanted to upgrade to 1.4.1 (the current cvs version at that time) and so I
d/led the sources.  MAKE showed that it didn't find shapelib (the one that was
installed by apt-get for me).  So I d/l'ed shapelib 1.2.9 and installed it.

Upon doing MAKE, I saw the following lines related to shapelib...
  checking shapefil.h usability... no
  checking shapefil.h presence... no
  checking for shapefil.h... no
  checking libshp/shapefil.h usability... yes
  checking libshp/shapefil.h presence... yes
  checking for libshp/shapefil.h... yes

I finally got MAKE to show shapelib, and completed the compile and install, but
now map levels don't work, nor do colors... water, rivers and streams are all
black with no blue.  Could it be that I've installed shapelib in a place that
MAKE finds, but another version of shapelib is found first in the path when
called?

Additionally, thru the transition between apt-get install and cvs install, the
map folder remains in the 1.3.x xastir location of file:/usr/share/xastir/maps
and sounds are located in file:/usr/share/xastir/sounds.

What did I screw up this time?  I still like the apt-get install xastir method
b/c it is so darned fast, but it's hell getting updated version of xastir if
you start with apt-get install.

Wes