[Xastir] map levels don't work

Byron Smith wa6ylb at theworks.com
Wed Nov 10 00:43:55 EST 2004

Soap box on.

Here Here! This is one of my favorite pet peeves about Xastir / Linux in
general.

There are sooooo many unknown (or non apparent) libraries and dependances
needed for each bell and whistle compile feature.

My first attempt to assembling Xastir was a failure (no surprise there,
heh?). I didn't know what I needed to be present *before* I started.  It
was only after retrying many times, passing the list of "the assembler
didn't find ..."  statements onto Linux Elmers did I learn just what some
of what is needed.  I gave up after chasing dependency issues and finally
reloaded my RH box with every RPM package that was on the three CDs in a
last ditch effort to "cover all the bases". That did the trick - 4 GB worth
though.

What would be *super cool* is to develop a list of " you need to load these
other dependances along with XXXXX to make it work" list - libs,
development packages etc, for each optional compile item.

This kind of information shouldn't be kept secret. I really believe this is
one of the major
reasons that many give up on Linux - these learning curves are actually
vertical cliffs without a next door Linux guru at a beckon call.

Come on guys - lets not keep this a secret any longer.

Soap box off.

Byron WA6YLB

>I was just thinking, many people out there are after the "ultimate"
>maps, or at least the best of the possible choices.  Would it make
>sense for some of the developers to create a document that lists
>which libraries they have installed and which sets of maps they are
>using and perhaps why, and keep that up-to-date?
>
>--
>Curt, WE7U                               http://www.eskimo.com/~archer

Byron Smith
wa6ylb at theworks.com

http://www.theworks.com/~wa6ylb

What was the best thing before sliced bread?