[Xastir] Can't write objects...

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Nov 15 13:01:35 EST 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, Mike Markowski wrote:

> Has anyone else seen this when starting xastir?
>
>    Couldn't write objects to map index file: /home/mm/.xastir/config/map_index.sys
>    Caught Segfault! Xastir will terminate
>    Last incoming line was:
>    09:35:39
>
> I then did a 'chmod 666' to map_index.sys, but same output resulted.
> An strace, showing only lines of interest, is pasted below.  To verify,
>
>    mm at thing ~/xastir $ ll /home/mm/.xastir/config/map_index.sys
>    -rw-rw-rw-  1 mm users 71 Nov 15 09:31 /home/mm/.xastir/config/map_index.sys
>
> I'm stumped at the moment, and any ideas would be greatly
> appreciated!  From the strace below, open() returns the file
> descriptor, fstat succeeds, and mmap returns a ptr to the mapped
> area.  It all looks good.  I'll start poking at the code but thought
> I'd write first in case this has been seen.  (I couldn't search the
> xastir archives for some reason.)
>
> This is using the latest CVS version on an up to date gentoo linux box.
> I've gotten the same results on an HP P-III laptop and an Athlon 3200+,
> both gentoo boxes.

About the only thing I can think of is to check the
permissions/ownership on /home, /home/mm, and /home/mm/.xastir
directories to see if the application can get to the file.

Perhaps something funny with gentoo and how they handle the SUID bit
on executables?  Try taking that bit away from /usr/local/bin/xastir
to see if that makes a difference.