[Xastir] squid caching of toposerver/terrraserver for offline use?

Dan Brown brown at brauhausdc.org
Mon Nov 22 12:50:27 EST 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 jdw at eng.uah.edu wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:37:19 -0600 (CST)
> From: jdw at eng.uah.edu
> To: xastir at xastir.org
> Subject: [Xastir] squid caching of toposerver/terrraserver for offline use?
>
> The talk about caching code made me wonder if I could put squid on my
> laptop (configured with a hughe cache), cause a bunch of terraserver,
> toposerver, etc lookups, and have those maps available for "offline"
> viewing?
>
> Nuts, or worth trying?

I have considered it, and would be interested in hearing your results.

Having "built in" caching for xastir - while it somewhat violates the
"multiple small single purpose tools" mantra - should make it possible to
have the cache of maps available when you're offline.  As well, it is one
less separate tool to install and tinker with.

Re: caching other types of maps, Curt and I have discussed it offline some,
and he has suggested I need to look at AUP's (acceptable use policies) for
each type of map.

--
Dan Brown
brown at brauhausdc.org