[Xastir] squid caching of toposerver/terrraserver foroffline use

KK6RW kk6rw at kk6rw.com
Tue Nov 23 03:35:53 EST 2004

Dan Brown wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 jdw at eng.uah.edu wrote:
>
>> Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:37:19 -0600 (CST)
>> From: jdw at eng.uah.edu
>> To: xastir at xastir.org
>> Subject: [Xastir] squid caching of toposerver/terrraserver for offline
>> use?
>>
>> The talk about caching code made me wonder if I could put squid on my
>> laptop (configured with a hughe cache), cause a bunch of terraserver,
>> toposerver, etc lookups, and have those maps available for "offline"
>> viewing?
>>
>> Nuts, or worth trying?
>
> I have considered it, and would be interested in hearing your results.
>
> Having "built in" caching for xastir - while it somewhat violates the
> "multiple small single purpose tools" mantra - should make it possible to
> have the cache of maps available when you're offline.  As well, it is one
> less separate tool to install and tinker with.
>
> Re: caching other types of maps, Curt and I have discussed it offline
> some,
> and he has suggested I need to look at AUP's (acceptable use policies) for
> each type of map.

The map caching of tigermaps and others is a great new feature! Speeds
things up nicely.

I like the idea of saving cached maps for offline viewing if this can be
done. It'd be cool to be able to pull up frequently used maps without Inet
connection. It would certainly lessen the burden on the server(s).

I successfully upgraded to XP SP2 with no major problems to Xastir or
Cygwin. Had to mess around with the maps again to get them to display as
well as enter the AGW connection parameters again.

Thanks for all the hard work and new features gentlemen!

Randy, KK6RW
kk6rw at kk6rw.com