[Xastir] New build problems

Jeremy Utley jerutley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 03:02:26 EDT 2004

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:27:43 -0400, KD1YV <kd1yv at qsl.net> wrote:
> Hi, listies.
> /Newbie-mode-on
> I'm still fairly new at this, so please excuse my ignorance.
>
> I have a newly-installed Suse 9.1 system.
>
> I managed to complete building Xastir 1.4.0, but without ImageMagick,
> since configure reported that he could not find the ImageMagick
> libraries. I'm working on that, but now have developed another error.
> When I run make, with or without the ImageMagick included, I now get a
> gcc error as follows:
>
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.3/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld:
>
> cannot find -lz
>
> I'm assuming that z is a library, and the -l is a parm to give the
> compiler the library name.  Now for the questions
> 1)  Where should z be and why would it have disappeared after my
> earlier
> successful build?

This would be the zlib library, usually it exists as either
/lib/libz.so or /usr/lib/libz.so.  It would really be strange for a
distribution to not include this in a default install, but it *IS*
possible.  Try looking on your installation cd's for a package named
zlib-1.2.1.

> 2)  Who the hell would name a library z? (Haha, just kidding)

The z stands for zip - it's a data compression library.

> 3)  I installed ImageMagick 6.1.0-1.  Why can't the configure script
> find it?  During my frustration, I also installed ImageMagick-devel and
> ImageMagick-C++.  I hope that these would not have any ill effects.

This one is difficult to know why it wouldn't detect.  You might take
a look at the config.log file after running configure, search it for
references to ImageMagick, and see why it failed to detect it.

> 4)  Where is the FAQ for this group/mailing list?

Doesn't look like Xastir has a FAQ :(

> 5)  Is this mailing list searchable so that I could research some of
> this stuff before asking my questions here?

Doesn't appear to be a searchable archive directly, but you could
probably simulate it via google by limiting the search to the host
name "lists.xastir.org".

Good Luck!

Jeremy, KF3EL/7