[Xastir] CVS server?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Oct 7 23:08:02 EDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 10:36:32PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <shadow at dementia.org> flavor, containing:
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Ed Lawson wrote:
>
> >I have been trying to do a CVS update for several days with no response
> >from server.... Am I working to a bad address?  Granted it may be a peak
> >times, and not trying a lot.
> >
> >(cvs [update aborted]: connect to
> >cvs.xastir.sourceforge.net(66.35.250.209):2401 failed: Connection timed
> >out)
>
> No, sourceforge CVS is probably screwed for non-developers again.
>
> After I confirm Curt got all the X API calls I'll export a copy and put it
> somewhere.

Heh.  Well, the answer is in FAQ number 3.8, which --- naturally --- you
would have if you didn't need the answer :-(

-----------
    3.8 Why do I get an error now when trying to do a "cvs update"?

    SourceForge changed things around a bit on Apr 29th, 2004.  The changes
    they made broke CVS for everyone.  The error message you get may look like
    the following:

        "Unknown host: cvs.xastir.sf.org"

    Luckily the fix is simple.  Run these commands from the top directory where
    you have the Xastir sources:

    find -name Root -path \*CVS\* -exec perl -pi.bak -e's/cvs.xastir.sf.net/cvs.
sf.net/' \{\} \;
    find -name Root -path \*CVS\* -exec perl -pi.bak -e's/cvs.xastir.sourceforge
.net/cvs.sf.net/' \{\} \;

This happened quite a while ago, I'm surprised you hadn't had problems before.
"cvs.xastir.sourceforge.net" no longer works, you need "cvs.sf.net."  The
find commands above should repair your CVS/Root files.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
(1) Ignorance of your profession is best concealed by solemnity and silence,
which pass for profound knowledge upon the generality of mankind.
                -------"Advice to Officers of the British Army", 1783