[Xastir] Re: ESRI shapefile troubles

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Oct 9 11:32:57 EDT 2004

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, Tom Russo wrote:

> You *can* download SDTS versions of the various map layers in USGS quads from
> the EROS data center:  http://edc.usgs.gov/geodata/.  Unfortunately, most
> of the data that's available for free in SDTS format is old, and to get new
> stuff you have to by DLG-O versions of new data from one of the USGS "Data
> Partners."  Sometimes you luck out and there are new files in STDS.

I use that same 24k quad overlay file for the same purposes.  We
need to pull maps out in a hurry and the overlay lets me see which
ones I need.

I've also taken the DLG layers in SDTS format and overlaid those on
top of satellite images, using GDAL/OGR to read the contour files.
Unfortunately I can't get the contours for every quad in my county,
and I seem to recall that I could get some in 100k and some i 24k.
Not extremely useful unless I can get 24k contours for everywhere.

> You can convert STDS map layers to shapefile with ogr2ogr or sdts2shp, both
> part of gdal.  Gdal can't convert dlg-o, no free converter I've looked at
> so far can handle them.  I wound up buying global mapper so I could translate
> dlg-o files to shapefiles.

Perhaps a request to the gdal list would yield someone willing to
add the support?

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer