[Xastir] RE: Canadian topo maps

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 11 12:53:21 EDT 2004

> This may be asking the moon, but can these files be broken up
> such that "say"
> only BC & Alberta (or some coordinate boundaries) are downloaded?
> I suspect not, but just had to ask....

I have a subset of the 250K and 50K files on my laptop.

I haven't used them with Xastir, but rather grabbed them for use with Radio
Mobile. I setup Radio Mobile to make a map of Alberta (-120 to -110 W and 49
to 60 N), and then asked it to merge in the topo maps at each resolution. I
also told it to save all files to the hard drive.

I have all of the 50K, 250K and orthoimages for Alberta, (and SE BC) on my
hard drive, along with the DEM information as well.

This allows me to generate 3D maps with topo and aerial photo images
overlaid.

Radio Mobile images can also be directly imported into UI-View for use as a
map.

Xastir is the best APRS program for handling map images. I love having the
capability of layering maps...

James
VE6SRV