[Xastir] DF object questions

J. Lance Cotton josecanuc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 16:56:04 EDT 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:55:36 -0700, bdonnell at ar-northwest.com
<bdonnell at ar-northwest.com> wrote:
> If you're using xastir for DF-ing solo, you can create your own scaling
> mechanism - choose settings of your attenuator to correspond to signal
> strengths in the DF setup.  For shared information among an ad-hoc
> group, you just have to hope everyone is using reasonable sense in how
> they determine signal strength, or you have to work to coordinate and
> systematize your postings, in a way that makes sense.

I've used Xastir for a "Working map" for distance-based foxhunts
(where time is not a factor). I've found that if you're DFing using a
directional antenna, the signal strength is not as important to plot
as the bearing. You just need to keep in your head whether your signal
is getting stronger or weaker. However, for non-directional DFing,
signal strength is all you've got and is very valuable.

Just a few weeks ago I jumped into the middle of a Sunday afternoon
foxhunt without my DFing equipment and found the fox at about the same
time as a couple of the other teams which did have directional
antennas and attenuators. I just followed the strong signal.

--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightnigflash.net
http://kj5o.lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3.
Eat the cookies.