[Xastir] Re: Tiger 2003 Polygons?

Kris Van Hees aedil at alchar.org
Wed Oct 20 21:05:44 EDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 01:49:15PM -0700, Curt, WE7U wrote:
> Talking with Tom Russo about it quite a bit, he's of the opinion
> that I got you involved way too early, and I'm now of the same
> opinion.  It looks like that tigerpoly.py script doesn't do what we
> want, but it's at least a good start on the matter.  It'll take some
> more development before we get just want we want out of it.

I wrote some scripts a while back to start doing some of this (extracting
specific polygon-types from Tiger data), but never completed the work to
really make it useful.  I'll try to dig up what I worked out a couple of
months ago (if I still have it around after a laptop HD crash a while back),
and you can evaluate whether it is any use or not.

I did try tigerpoly.py also, and found it lacking for the purpose of getting
the polygon information out of the Tiger data.  The script(s) I did were very
loosely based on tigerpoly.py, since that was a good example on how to work
with the Tiger data files, extract data from them, and recombine it in a
useable way.

	Kris