[Xastir] Maps, again!

John Ronan jronan at tssg.org
Fri Oct 22 14:31:56 EDT 2004

Hi There again,

I'm about to head up to my folks place (30 miles or so - EI7IG-9), I've
been busy putting in the sections of the map so that I can see it
afterwards.

Each Tiff is 4724 x 4724 and the boundarys are the lines in the map.
So I've been using
http://www.megalithomania.com/conversion/

To convert from Irish Grid to Degrees Minutes Seconds and then
http://www.uky.edu/KGS/gis/converter.htm

to convert to decimal Lat/Long.

I'm wondering what others use to convert to decimal lat/long as I'm
seeing gaps/slight overlaps in the pictures.

Tomorrow I'll check it out a bit more, but It looks to me like a
rounding error of some sort as two of the maps (I've done a square)
that I have done have the northeast/southwest corners at the correct
point.

Bearing in mind that I know little or nothing about maps except that
they are all a 'projection' of some sort.  Can I assume that as I go
further and further from the 'point' mentioned above that I will begin
to see gaps in the projection.

Thanks for the help (and a great application)
--
John Ronan <jronan at tssg.org>, +353-51-302938
Telecommunications Software &  Systems Group,  http://www.tssg.org