[Xastir] Maps, again!

Gerry Creager n5jxs gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Fri Oct 22 16:08:01 EDT 2004

Reality check.  Edge matching and gap removal are significant and
humanlabor intensive.  There a couple *expensive* systems that attempt
decent edge matching automagically.  What you appear to deacribe in the
comment about gaps and whitespace is an edge matching problem.

One other consideration is that a rigorous image registration process
requires at least 5 coordinate pairs be known and that they be
distributed around and within the near-centroid of the image.  If you
acquired the images from someone who did it right, and if you're
absolutely certain of the datum and projection the images are in... AND
if they're well rectified (camera tilt removed, distortion from
off-vertical-angle imagery compensated for) then you can safely start
the process of stitching the images together.

I've not looked at your pages yet: the apparent misunderstanding
required a quick response.  I reserve the right to revise my comment
again after a review of your pages!  :-)

73, gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020
FAX:  979.847.8578 Pager:  979.228.0173