[Xastir] 'Owning' station ID?

Tyler Allison tyler at allisonhouse.com
Wed Oct 27 10:49:21 EDT 2004

> Every amateor radio transmission is supposed to be identified by callsign,
> but I see on my xastir display many 'objects' with names that do not fit
> the pattern for normal amateur callsigns.  Examples are:  WX stations with
> calls like CWnnnn, DTX_OUTLK, BC_TRAF, etc.  Selecting 'station info'
> gives me no indication of an amateur callsign, or for that matter, any
> other means of contacting the owner.  What is going on here?  Is the APRS
> community tolerating illegal activity?

Turn off your Internet and those will go away....or be gated by someone in
your area who is identifying his callsign when relaying.

CWnnnn = CWOP = Civilian Weather Observer Program (APRS weather station)
DTX_OUTLK = Weather Forecast outlook

>From the two examples above I'd have to believe the igate you are
connected to is passing you weather data. You can filter that out if you
wish using a custom filter.

-Tyler

--
"In the battle between you and the world, bet on the world." - Despair.com