[Xastir] SuSE 9.1 compile errors

Chris Dewane cdewane at msn.com
Wed Oct 27 22:44:28 EDT 2004

I get the following error:
*** No X11!  Install X-Windows development headers/libraries! ***

I have compiled Xastir on SuSE 9.1 Pro with no problem. You are probably missing the XFree86-devel package.
Here's how to install it:
- Run YaST, Software, Install and Remove Software.
- In the search box, type in xfree
- From the results, make sure there is a check mark next to the package XFree86-devel
- While you are in there, make sure you have all of the other required packages as listed in the file README.Getting-Started.
  Just do a search on the component name ie. openmotif. If the development headers are also needed, just look for the devel
  packages in the search results along with the main package
- Click accept and you should be good to go.

but I have x11 in /usr/x11R6  I think .

This just means you have X11 installed. Xastir also needs the headers to compile. These are not needed to run, only for building
other programs which use it's services.

Spend some time reading the README.Getting-Started and INSTALL files. This is one of the most well documented apps I have
ever seen. My compliments to the Xastir team!

73
Chris
KB9VLS