[Xastir] SuSE 9.1 compile errors

Rich Hall rich at netlynx.us
Thu Oct 28 13:37:29 EDT 2004

kg4qge at comcast.net reportedly babbled:
> I get the following error:
> *** No X11!  Install X-Windows development headers/libraries! ***
>
> but I have x11 in /usr/x11R6  I think .
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Is their a Linux Distro that works with xastir without any errors while compileing?
>
> This will be a dicated computer for xastir only so I have no preference to what
> Distro I have.

Pretty much any of the mainstream packages will.. you are missing the X11
development library modules which should have come with your distribution set but
were not selected for installation. If you did a "Desktop" type install vs a
Workstation/Development" install of the OS then you most likely will need to go back
and upgrade to a development style setup to get all of the parts needed. It is a
good thing to do as a rule for anyone who plans to add/compile software on a UNIX
based machine to install the whole development setup. A more up to date leading edge
distro would be Fedora Core 2 or Core 3 (soon to be released) has all the coolest
features from an OS perspective, but sometimes you have to fix things that are not
quite stable (ImageMagick for one).. then there are distros based on older stable
packages such as Debian that are not up to date with the latest features such as
support for the latest USB and Wireless support and need a bunch of updates any
way.. I run Fedora Core 2 and have been pretty happy with it.. and it runs the 2.6.x
kernel with is fast.. I have run Freebsd, Netbsd, Mandrake 9,10.1, Suse 8.0, 9.1,
Slackware 2,3,4,6 and Redhat 5,6,7,8,9,FC1,FC2 on various machines over the years
and I like the Fedora Core 2 the most.. so far..

-R
 Rich Hall
 rich at netlynx.us
 http://www.netlynx.us/rich/