[Xastir] Digipeating

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Sep 1 11:00:02 EDT 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, hasan schiers wrote:

> Yes, I will keep running ui-view32 via agwpe on a Windows box. If it ever
> reaches that point I can keep agwpe running by itself, and use it to manage
> the tncs > serial ports.(assuming I can get the Debian machine to properly
> run on a Windows network (I had some real problems trying to get a Red Hat
> version working properly, but I'm sure I just had no idea what I was
> doing)).

If you want the most reliable system (no or few reboots required per
year), run this way:

TNC's in KISS mode connected to the Linux box, or perhaps soundcard
modems in the Linux box.

Set up AX.25 kernel networking on that Linux box.

Run AGWPE and Xastir on that box.

Run UI-View32 on the Winders box and connect it to Xastir's server
port (port 2023).

Enable the server port on the Xastir instance.

If you feel like it, install Cygwin/Xwindows on your Windows box and
run Xastir there too, alongside UI-View if you wish.  Connect it to
the server port on the other Xastir instance.

Another method would be to run AGWPE and aprsd on the Linux box,
then connect all the APRS clients to the aprsd instance.  The later
versions of aprsd allow using the AX.25 networking ports to talk to
the TNC's, so aprsd and digi_ned should be able to co-exist.

> The ideal solution (in my mind) would be if Xastir would talk to Digi-ned
> and Digi-ned talked to the TNC's, so the box could stand alone if desired.

Naw, just have everything on that Linux box use the AX.25 kernel
networking, and have everything on other boxes connect through
Xastir's server port or through aprsd's ports.  It'd be a much more
reliable system that way, getting Windows out of the critical path.
That way you can reboot Windows at will and not screw up the
digipeating.