[Xastir] Digipeating

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Sep 1 13:21:32 EDT 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Brian D Heaton wrote:

> APRSd is a very flexible and configurable Igate.  That is its primary
> purpose and it does a pretty good job.  Its up on sourceforge too.
>

> (Caveat - I'm one of the listed developers on APRSd)

So is Chuck Byam, who's our admin for the Xastir project...

Xastir has a tiny bit of the functionality of aprsd built-in.
That's probably all it will ever have along those lines, as we need
no more.  Anything additional should be provided by packages such as
aprsd and digi_ned.

In fact, I wouldn't go so far as to say people were upset, but some
people didn't want the RELAY digipeating or the server socket to be
put into Xastir.  I was kind of alone in wanting those at the time.
I have a direct need for those particular functions, yet needed the
simplest possible setup for my SAR purposes, so that's why I chose
to incorporate those features into Xastir.  It goes against the Unix
methodology of small/efficient tools strung together to provide a
function.  I realized that when I coded them, but felt strongly
enough about the end to justify the means in those particular cases.

The server socket stuff was also good practice for where we're
headed next in Xastir development...