[Xastir] Digipeating

Brian D Heaton brian.heaton at janusresearch.com
Wed Sep 1 14:12:45 EDT 2004

Curt,

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 13:21, Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Brian D Heaton wrote:
>

> > (Caveat - I'm one of the listed developers on APRSd)
> So is Chuck Byam, who's our admin for the Xastir project...

Yep, Chuck keeps the whole project on track.  I'm just the code janitor.
<G>  There are still some gremlins left hiding in there that I only see
under heavy connect/disconnect load.  Someday if I manage to dig my way
out of my current project-pile I'll dig back into it.

> Xastir has a tiny bit of the functionality of aprsd built-in.
> That's probably all it will ever have along those lines, as we need
> no more.  Anything additional should be provided by packages such as
> aprsd and digi_ned.
>
> In fact, I wouldn't go so far as to say people were upset, but some
> people didn't want the RELAY digipeating or the server socket to be
> put into Xastir.  I was kind of alone in wanting those at the time.
> I have a direct need for those particular functions, yet needed the
> simplest possible setup for my SAR purposes, so that's why I chose
> to incorporate those features into Xastir.  It goes against the Unix
> methodology of small/efficient tools strung together to provide a
> function.  I realized that when I coded them, but felt strongly
> enough about the end to justify the means in those particular cases.

Adding features to accomplish mission tasks comes under the heading of a
"Good Thing" <tm>.  If you know what you're doing, know the tradeoffs,
and balance them to create solution that works then its the best thing.
My primary concern with some Windows apps is trying to do everything
PLUS the kitchen sink in a single app with no real rhyme or reason.  I
was just pointing out the different paradigms between the two OS
platforms.

> The server socket stuff was also good practice for where we're
> headed next in Xastir development...

Socket interfaces are a good thing.

> --
> Curt, WE7U			         http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
> "Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown
Brian D Heaton
Senior Network Engineer
Janus Research Group
(706) 791-8342
GPG Fingerprint: C99E 3E9C E23A 4E47 46F4 0A77 3A45 CB65 9E19 5B0A