[Xastir] Mac OS X + USB Serial

Michael Virgilio mikev at mikev.com
Mon Sep 6 09:19:18 EDT 2004

Got a Powerbook not too long ago, and of course one of the first things I do
is load up Xastir. The program runs great working off of the internet, but
that¹s not the way I want to always be running it. But when I set up and try
to activate the USB serial port I have, Xastir just hangs.

I did a quick search and found a thread from January 2003 (if I remember
correctly) about this problem, or a similar one. One post in that thread
said that it appeared that Xastir was stuck in a read loop. Another message
said that just rebooting worked for them. Not here... Yet another said that
having it not set to transmit at least allowed them to open the port. Again,
not for me.

Here¹s what I have...
OS X 10.3.5
IoGear GUC232A USB serial cable (/dev/usbserial0)
ProlificUsbSerial.kext (ver. 1.0.8b3 according to the info.plist)
Kenwood TM-D700
Xastir 1.3.2 (I¹m not into playing with development code that much).

I¹ve had no problems with Minicom (in a shell) or Zterm (gui not X11)
accessing the serial port.
I don¹t think AX.25 is an option for me, but haven¹t really looked into OS X
support for it.
If anyone thinks the Development version would work, I¹ll give it a shot. Is
there just a diff I can download to update the source I already have?

  - Mike, KG4JNA