[Xastir] Off Topic help?

Tyler Allison tyler at allisonhouse.com
Tue Sep 7 10:48:21 EDT 2004

Sorry for the off-topic request for help but I figure someone on the list
might have dealt with this.

I use to be running a RedHat 8.0 system with an Oregon Scientific WMR968
weather station and Xastir.

I went and screwed around with the system and installed Debian.  Ever
since the switch to Debian and the subsequent switch to Fedora 2 (in an
effort to fix the problem) I have been unable to get weather data off the
serial port.

I even went so far as to take the time to install Windows on the EXACT
same hardware and 3 different windows Weather software packages are able
to read data off the serial port.

So now Im stumped. Anybody know what could possibly be the problem in my
Linux setup?  Doing an strace on the Linux weather software shows that the
select() call on the serial port times out with no data. I've tried
various configurations using minicom, stty and setserial and nothing seems
to help.

I bring up minicom and nothing shows on the line. 9600 8n1 is supposedly
the setting.

I suspect something has changed in the 'default' serial port setup or I
forgot I did something 2 years ago to get it to work. I dont recall doing
anything special or low level but maybe the new kernels need that now?

I've been beating my head against a wall for a week now.

Off-list emails accepted.

ps: there's only one serial port so I know I have the right tty.

-Tyler