[Xastir] Xastir Map Timings

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Sep 7 11:17:49 EDT 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, hasan schiers wrote:

> Mapping is slow.

> I was very surprised to find that it took way longer to load the local maps
> from the hd than it did going out over the internet. The Tiger maps look
> great. The shp maps are ...well...not as pleasing.

Which layers of the Shapefiles are you loading?  I usually load just
the river/lake and road layers, sometimes just the road layers.
That speeds things up quite a bit.

Are you running a processor that is equivalent to the processors
that Tigermap is using to render the maps?  I kind'a doubt it.
They're also not showing you all the layers, but then you have the
added download speed over the DSL, so those two things partially
offset each other.

> Any recommendation for maps that I can use locally from the hard disk that
> will load relatively quickly, that still "look good"...I know it's
> subjective, but while we aren't art experts we generally agree on what we
> like.

Use Shapefile format TIGER/Line files, as you are doing.  Get PCRE
and dbfawk working.  Tweak the dbfawk files so that the map files
are to your liking.