[Xastir] Xastir Map Timings

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Sep 7 16:44:06 EDT 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, hasan schiers wrote:

> How do I control that (what is loaded)? I would like to only load what you
> are, i.e.river/lake and major roads...no streets anything near that.

Via the Map Chooser.  Select the ones you want to load, either by
directory or by individual files.  Click on Properties to select
which layer each one is drawn at.  That way you can have roads going
across rivers/lakes instead of the other way around.  In the
README.MAPS or the online help it tells you which layers are which.

> The Tiger stuff is working well, as you can see, most of the time, the
> download and rendering time is not that bad. It just struck me that the shp
> files should have loaded very, very much faster than the download, and you
> seem to be saying I'm working with way too much detail in the data. When I
> figure out how to cut that down, I should be able to use the shp files on
> the hd. Right now, they are unusable.

I use Tiger->Shapefile data and USGS topo's in my Jeep, with a P133
w/64MB ram running Linux.  They are certainly usable while mobile.
Another thing to consider is that Tigermap server has been very slow
and/or unavailable at various times, so it's good to have a backup.

> I'll ask Ryan what the PCRE and dbfawk are about and go from there. Lots of
> reading to do!

You might get a bit confused also as to what dbfawk and the Map
Chooser->Properties control.  Suffice it to say that if you're using
dbfawk, it takes priority over Map Chooser->Properties.