[Xastir] Message ACK question

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Sep 8 10:54:29 EDT 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Jason Hitesman wrote:

> I've also been wondering if there is something amis in the messaging
> code.  I've been getting reports locally that I'm not sending ACK's to
> messages at all - or at least no one is hearing them.  But they hear my
> messages and posits no problem so I doubt it's a radio/configuration issue.

You might try listening to the radio frequency with a handheld or
scanner.  Perhaps there's a problem with the ack's.

I don't have an RF setup right now, but for internet-connected
messaging, everything appears to be working properly.

> Is there any good way to watch what's being transmitted by xastir?  (I'm
> using a serial KISS TNC, if that helps.)

That might be important.  We can have interface-specific bugs in the
code.  Anyone else experiencing this sort of problem?

> The window constantly popping up is pretty annoying as well - as is the
> handling of duplicate messages.  Just as I close the message window I
> usually get an echo from a digi or a retry since my ACK's don't seem to
> be getting sent and then suddenly it opens back up again with the same
> message twice.

Perhaps I've just gotten used to such operation.  I'll either kill
the pending messages if I don't get an ack, or I'll leave the
message window open but hide it behind or mostly behind the main
window.

If the current operation is really annoying, file a bug report on
SourceForge and hopefully one of the developers will look into it.
After the stable release.