[Xastir] FW: Xastir mailing list probe message

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Sep 10 15:30:20 EDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 12:22:32PM -0700, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <archer at eskimo.com> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Jason Hitesman wrote:
>
> > Curt, WE7U wrote:

> > > Yea, same here.
> >
> > Agreed, I'm seeing the same things.
> >
> > In the probe messages I've gotten I noticed several of the bounces
> > reported complaining about commands being out of order or duplicated
> > from the list server's SMTP setup.
> >
> > I think the list may be healthy...but the SMTP setup on the machine
> > hosting it may need some attention.
>
> Another possibility may be that the current versions of spam appear
> to be bounced messages, and the list server might be confusing those
> with real bounces.

I did see one bounce probe where it was clear that earthlink received a mail,
bounced it, and in doing so included a failure line for every subscriber
of the list --- even those not on earthlink.

It looks to me like the bounce probe thing, while possibly a good idea, is
far too sensitive a gadget.  I'm getting one of these bounce probes
every few days and it's kinda irritating, because in each one it is very clear
that it isn't my ISP or my machine that's bouncing the mail, but something
unrelated to me.

While we're on the subject of the hollymead servers, is anyone else seeing
problems with the security certificates every time they log in to the web site?
The certificates aren't created by a recognized certificate authority, so
mozilla warns me that it's potentially insecure every time I log in.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
(1) Ignorance of your profession is best concealed by solemnity and silence,
which pass for profound knowledge upon the generality of mankind.
                -------"Advice to Officers of the British Army", 1783