[Xastir] Adding offline maps?

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Mon Sep 13 00:20:33 EDT 2004

At some point, we're gonna have to get reprojection into better shape
for the Tiger maps.  That said, they're an excellent start, and the
anomolies you might see won't detract from their utility.

A lot of State governments have started posting GIS data on the Web for
citizen use.  Texas, for example, has over 4 terabytes of GIS data,
ranging from transportation to critical infrastructure, maps of the
Original Texas Land Survey, land use/land cover, hydrology, digital
orthoimagery, and a plethora of other data.  http://tnris.state.tx.us is
the home of all this.  Later this year, we're hoping to start linking
weather data in real time (but of course, you can already get the radar
overlays and nearly real-time weather that's pretty darned good, now,
via RF and/or internet!).

Plan to learn more about some of the open source tools.  If you find
maps with an extension of '.e00' don't despair.  There's a tool that'll
translate 'em to '.shp'.  MapInfo ('.map') files are a little more
problemmatical, but not much.

One thing to keep in mind when you're looking, is to make sure you find,
download, and read the metadata associated with the maps.  It's pretty
dry, but you need to have a grasp of the information about the data
(maps), such as geodetic horizontal and vertical datums used in their
derivation, projections, and accuracy, just as starting points.  It
hardly does any good, for example, to have a map accurate to 1:100k,
when you're looking for 2 ft accuracies in your work/play.

Where possible, avoid files compressed with MrSid style encoding.  If
you have to get them, snag the free reader and use 'em as wallpaper.
Xastir can't handle the proprietary format.

There's a plethora of older DOS-APRS and WinAPRS maps scattered across
the net.  Typically, they're not quite as smooth as the GIS products,
but often very useful if they were created by someone in the local
community who has an interest in that sort of thing.

In general, look for packages claiming to be in ESRI ShapeFile format
('.shp') and where possible, snag them in WGS-84 or NAD83 (horizontal)
datum and NAVD88 vertical datum.  Mean Sea Level (NGVD29) datums have
some problems associated with 'em.  After all these years, we've
determined that measuring sea level ain't as scientific as we thought!

Oh... there are a few of us who can become pedantic and petulant when we
start talking about maps and measurement.  It's usually safe to just
hide until we quiet down, but sometimes we have some info of interest:-)

73, gerry n5jxs