[Xastir] Festival problems...

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Sep 13 13:35:01 EDT 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Larry wrote:

> /*Well I have xastir ver 1.4.0 running, but I can not get Festival to
> work, I do know that I have had it working on older versions of xastir,
> but for some unknown reason it is not working now...
>
> When I try to start festival using festival_server &, then bring up
> xastir I am getting this:
> Festival_client: Connect to server failed
> SayText: Couldn't open socket to festival...
>
> Anyone have any ideas as to what I need to do to get it too work...???

Check that you don't have any Xastir processes/threads running from
a hung Xastir session previously.  Kill your current Xastir, then
run "ps -auxww | grep xastir | grep -v grep" to see.

Check that you didn't somehow start up two or more versions of the
Festival server.

Can you telnet to the Festival listening socket and get it to speak?
I think the command is something like:

    (SayText "talk to me")

See the Festival docs though for the correct format.

Default port is 1314, so "telnet localhost 1314" should connect you
to the Festival server.  Control-] and then "quit" from telnet gets
you back out.