[Xastir] Dumb question #1

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Thu Sep 16 01:36:15 EDT 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, hasan schiers wrote:

> He left a terminal window open that shows messages that periodically say:
>
> KISS bad packet dropped.
>
> I see four or five a day.
>
> ...what did he do to establish communications with Xastir from the terminal
> window that lets me monitor what is going on?

I would imagine that he opened an xterm window and then typed
"xastir &" to start Xastir up.  When you start Xastir that way, you
get to see any startup messages and warnings/errors from Xastir.  If
you start it graphically, you don't get to see any of that info.

> What other neat things can I do from that terminal window to "keep an eye"
> on things Xastir is doing?

You can open other terminal windows and type things like "ps -aux"
to see a bunch of info on all your processes that are running.  You
can type "top" to get a continuously updating picture of roughly the
same thing.  Lots of stuff!  Get a good book on Unix or Unix
SysAdmin and you'll see what you've been missing.

> One of these days I'm going to have to figure out how to upgrade Xastir.
> Ryan (KB0JQO) got the latest CVS about 10 days ago, and I haven't done
> anything since. Xastir has run flawlessly for all this time, reconnecting to
> the AGWPE machine automagically when it reboots each morning, without so
> much as a hiccup.

There's a README.CVS file that comes with Xastir.  There's also the
INSTALL file that has good info, and there's a CVS page on the
Xastir SourceForge site.

> for most things, but the vplay thing doesn't work.

Because you don't have "vplay" executable on your system.  Try
changing it to "play" or "auplay" instead to see if those might be
installed.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer