[Xastir] Shapefile Question

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Sep 19 12:29:17 EDT 2004

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 08:29:48AM -0500, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <remailer at ka3nam.com> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> I'm attempting to dive further into Xastir's capabilities by adding Shapefile
> so I can also support the NWS advisories and warnings. I've downloaded the
> shapefiles and Xastir throws out this verbiage when they are called:
>
>  *** draw_map: Unknown map type: c_18nv03.shp ***
>
> I've downloaded Shapefile 1.2 and am making an attempt at install. Is there a
> place for me do download a document that outlines how to install Shapefile?
> If it's on their web site, I guess I'm a bit to inexperienced to understand
> what I'm looking at. There is no configure file in the download and make
> doesn't seem to get any results.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks for your patience in advance!!!

The installation process for shapelib is in xastir's INSTALL document:

   4. RECOMMENDED:  Install ESRI Shapefile support.  Allows using many sources
     of online polygon, polyline, and point maps, including ones from NOAA.
     This is also the format for weather alert maps.
     The instructions aren't clear in this package, but just installing the
     library is sufficient:

       make lib
       su (root)
       make lib_install
       /sbin/ldconfig
       exit (from root)

The build process for shapelib is not autoconfiscated, so they rely on the
porting technique from the Bad Old Days: hack on the makefile until it works.
Fortunately, the Makefile works as is on linux.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
(1) Ignorance of your profession is best concealed by solemnity and silence,
which pass for profound knowledge upon the generality of mankind.
                -------"Advice to Officers of the British Army", 1783