[Xastir] Server Port Question

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Mon Sep 20 14:15:07 EDT 2004

Bennett, Joe wrote:

> Is there a debug mode that I can have Xastir look at the incoming data stream?
> I've scanned the incomming data and cannot find anything that would resemble
> a log on attempt. I can pull the format that Xastir uses tolog into ui-view,
> but don't know of a way to look at what Xastir is seeing other than what I
> copied below. Let me know what to do and I'll sure give it a shot! :)

You can always tap directly into the TCP/IP traffic by using programs
such as tcpdump or ethereal. On the computer running Xastir, tcpdump
could be invoked (as root) with command "tcpdump -n -i <dev> -p -s 0 -x
-X port <port>", for example. Here <dev> would be the ethernet device
you receive the connection from UI-View and <port> would be the TCP/IP
port Xastir is listening for incoming connections. You can also specify
the UI-View computer's IP-address if you want, like "port <port> and
host <ip>" to reduce the amount of packets captured by tcpdump. The left
side will show the packet contents in hex and the right side will show
the printable parts of packet contents. Ethereal can capture packets
just as tcpdump, but with a different user interface and it is also
available for Windows, if I remember correctly.

   Tapio