[Xastir] CVS update

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Sep 26 16:16:07 EDT 2004

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 11:04:57AM -0700, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <archer at eskimo.com> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, ha2vr wrote:
>
> > I am trying to get the latest cvs and compile in Mandrake 10.0.
> > After cvs update I have problem with ./bootstrap.sh.
> > I am getting the following error:
> > Makefile.am:7: option 'dist-bzip2' not recognized
> > scripts/Makefile.am:6: invalid variable 'pkglib_SCRIPTS'
> > scripts/Makefile.am:6: invalid variable 'pkglib_SCRIPTS'
> >
> > After this message ./bootstrap.sh stops.
> >
> > I have Mandrake 10.0 with automake1.9-1.9-1.mdk and autoconf 2.5-2.59-3mdk.
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Perhaps you need bzip2 installed?  Not sure.
>
> automake-1.6.3 and autoconf-2.53 are the minimum requirements right
> now.  I think your autoconf-2.5-2.59-3mdk might qualify, but I'm not
> familiar with that numbering scheme.  automake looks good.

Looks like "pkglib_SCRIPTS" is not actually a valid thing to have in a
Makefile.am, but earlier versions of automake apparently accepted it and the
later ones don't.  Technically, scripts are supposed to get installed in bindir
or libexecdir, not pkglibdir.  This newer automake is apparently enforcing
that.

I'm not sure why "dist-bzip2" is added to the automake options in Makefile.am,
because it's not a valid option even for automake 1.6.3 --- but that version
of automake doesn't scream about it.  dist-bzip2 is supposed to be a target
in the resulting makefiles, not an option to automake.

If ha2vr were to remove "dist-bzip2" from the line in Makefile.am:
  AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = gnu dist-bzip2
and were to change "pkglib_SCRIPTS" to "libexec_SCRIPTS" in scripts/Makefile.am
then all would be good.

The effect of the second change would be to change the installation location
of the scripts from pkglibdir (/usr/local/lib/xastir) to libexecdir
(/usr/local/libexec) --- which change might actually make more sense.  It might
make more sense to install into bindir, too.

I just checked that these changes actually work, and could commit them
if nobody objects (discussion: should scripts go into bindir or libexecdir?).

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
(1) Ignorance of your profession is best concealed by solemnity and silence,
which pass for profound knowledge upon the generality of mankind.
                -------"Advice to Officers of the British Army", 1783