[Xastir] Transverse Mercator problems

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Sep 27 17:50:26 EDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Stuart L. Morris wrote:

> I've been using Xastir for a while with all sorts of maps but recently I
> have tried using some TM tiles and I'm having real problems.
>
> The problem appears to be that the tiles (2000 pixels on each side,
> 10kmx10km) are being rendered as square by Xastir when at my latitude
> (51:27:05.34, -00:56:55.8)  the should be rotated slightly clockwise.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions or is this a limitation of Xastir and
> I'm going to have to work out a way of modifying my tiles (all 4.5Gb)!

Simple answer is that we don't rotate.  Slightly more complicated
answer is that we do in only one case:  geoTIFF maps, but that code
is not generalized to handle just anything.  It only handles USGS
geoTIFF DRG maps.

Perhaps the ogr2ogr program might be able to convert these to the
correct projection?