[Xastir] Translucent polygon shapefiles now available

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Sep 29 09:17:48 EDT 2004

Last night I committed a small change to dbfawk-enabled shapefile drawing
that allows one to specify that a filled polygon be stippled with one of the
three stipple patterns xastir uses (13%, 25%, or 50%).  This allows raster
layers to show through filled, stippled polygons, and in some cases looks
rather nice.

To use it, include "fill_style=2" and fill_stipple=0, 1, or 2 in dbfawk rules.

As an example of how this is done, I've modified my dbfawk file for the
national atlas shapefile map of streams and waterbodies.  The shapefile
itself is available from www.nationalatlas.gov: click "Atlas Maps" and then
"Map Layers Data Warehouse", and scroll down to find "Streams and Waterbodies."
The dbfawk file is available from http://www.swcp.com/~russo/shape_web/
When both are in a a map directory and the map is chosen, lakes, bays, and
the few rivers that are represented as polygons will appear filled with 50%
stipple pattern.  IMHO they look nicer than when they're solid-filled.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
(1) Ignorance of your profession is best concealed by solemnity and silence,
which pass for profound knowledge upon the generality of mankind.
                -------"Advice to Officers of the British Army", 1783