[Xastir] Can tamu.edu maps look like Tigermaps?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Apr 1 12:35:28 EST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Jack Twilley wrote:

> I have installed and indexed the shapelibs from the tamu.edu site, and I
> can see that they are indeed chock-full of value.  I have done nothing
> else to the configuration, and I was wondering if there was a documented
> way (dbfawk or otherwise) to make them visually identical to the
> Tigermaps we get via downloading.  This was something I looked at long,
> long ago but never finished and then I had to step away from xastir for
> a while -- if it's been solved, could someone point me at the solution?

I was at one point against this, thinking that we could make
something that looked better than Tigermaps, but I've since seen the
value in making them look similar.

I apologize publicly for stepping on the toes of the guy who was
starting to implement that way back when (years ago).  I think that
was Jim Chandler, but it might have been Gerald Stueve.  Whoever it
was:  Sorry!

We could probably tweak the default shapelib code in Xastir to give
it that look.  We could also tweak the dbfawk files.  Probably both
should be done.

I don't know of anyone who has done either of those yet.

Tom?