[Xastir] Can tamu.edu maps look like Tigermaps?

Jason Hitesman jradio at hitesman.com
Sat Apr 2 00:09:22 EST 2005

James Ewen wrote:

> Where are we in the Xastir world? My screens look like the very early
> screenshot with my dbfawk files...
> http://sumitbirla.com/software/images/map1.png
>
> Does anyone have a screenshot of a shapefile map that looks better than
> the above using Xastir? No cheating with raster maps underneath
> either... Only shapefile data allowed.

Here's my live screenshot:

http://jhitesma.homeunix.com:1313/snapshot.jpg

That's just the new 2004 maps from TAMU (finally grabbed them this
weekend) with the stock dbfawk files.  I tweaked colors a little bit in
the menus to meet my liking.

Compression is cranked on the JPEG so things aren't as sharp as they
look on my screen...but overall I like them - they're just painfully
slow to use so I usually stick with Palm/DOS maps and then only turn on
the shape files when I get in close.  But Yuma is a big county so I
suppose that's why it's so slow to process...even the rtree stuff didn't
make any noticable speed difference for me.

----
Jason Hitesman
N8INJ