[Xastir] Extra data

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Sat Apr 2 15:32:03 EST 2005

Shawn Hudson wrote:
> I'm running xastir 1.4.1 on debian with a KPC-3 in kiss mode, and I'm
> getting reports of a small amount of data being added to the end of frames
> I-gated through my station.

I'm seeing extra data as well, but in my case the extra characters are
always whitespace. I have seen this with other igates as well, for
example aprsd likes to add whitespace to the end of at least some
packets. It seems to cause some duplicates to the APRS-IS stream.

Could it be that CRs or LFs embedded in the packets (in RF) are
converted into whitespace (I haven't looked at the source)? To me,
removing CRs and LFs would seem a more logical choice than replacing
them with whitespace.

> Here are two examples, notice the extra "@?" at then end of the frame when
> my station (KB8QEW) is involved.  This ONLY seems to happen when my station
> is involved.

Are you by any chance using KISS extensions in the TNC? Those two bytes
could be a frame checksum. But probably not, because the checksum should
vary between different frames.

   Tapio