[Xastir] Extra data

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Sun Apr 3 18:45:51 EDT 2005

Curt Mills wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Tapio Sokura wrote:
>>I'm seeing extra data as well, but in my case the extra characters are always
>>whitespace. I have seen this with other igates as well, for example aprsd
>>likes to add whitespace to the end of at least some packets. It seems to cause
>>some duplicates to the APRS-IS stream.

> What TNC and mode (KISS?) are you running?  What version of Xastir?

I'm using KISS (TM-D700) and Xastir is from CVS (compiled March 3rd). I
ran into this when writing a small igate application. I noticed that
some packets that looked identical to the eye weren't flagged as
duplicates. I looked more closely and noticed there was extra whitespace
at the end of those packets. Now I just ignore all trailing whitespace
in duplicate detection.

I haven't really looked at the KISS packets coming in from the TM-D700,
but rather looked at the packets as they come back via APRS-IS (I have
Xastir set up to be an igate) via another TCP connection. Those packets
arriving via APRS-IS that have my Xastir's callsign in the digipath
often contain an extra whitespace character at the end of the packet.
Often I also see the same packet gated to APRS-IS via some other igate
and that packet doesn't have the extra space at the end. I guess it is
also possible that the packets contain whitespace in the RF form as well
and it is the other igate that is stripping away extra trailing
whitespace in a packet before passing the packet onto APRS-IS.

   Tapio