[Xastir] Change to RELAY digipeat function

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Sat Apr 9 00:24:07 EDT 2005

> I fired that off without thinking soundly.  James, those comments aren't
> pointed at you.

No worries... If you post something like "You, James, are a total bonehead!"
I might start to wonder if you are taking a poke at me...

>  I've given up on most of those discussions on the sig... they're not
> quite to my filter but are close.  Most of the proponents don't really
> understand CSMA-CD *or* ALOHA but have selected a snippet here and there
> as gospel and try to use a little algebra to extend their positions on how
> to improve channel capabilities.  The concept of redesigning an RF network
> to accommodate most of the issues, and to get rid of source-routing, is
> ignored.

I agree, I see a lot of that happening. I admit that I look at some things,
and come up with a solution that looks perfect. You then tell someone else,
and they point out the gaping hole in your theory. The national APRS sig is
a good place to bounce theories and concepts around, because there are a
number of people that really understand how things work in the APRS world.
It's also a bad place, because there are also a lot of people that have no
clue, who make a bunch of noise. Sometimes the noise covers up the good
ideas.

If you could get the top 2 dozen people on the APRS sig together for about a
week, you could probably come up with some really good ideas. If you could
get some of the hardware manufacturers to allow people to write their own
code, we could have some pretty amazing new firmware to make the most of our
network too.

James
VE6SRV