[Xastir] New England feed down?

Mark - N2PGD n2pgd at arrl.net
Tue Apr 12 10:19:38 EDT 2005

Jason,

> I'm a bit behind on the state of multicasting on the Internet in
> general, but would it be better to start arranging for multicast feeds
> instead of many point to point feeds?  Is Internet multicasting ready
> for primetime?

My experience with multicast so far is that it just isn't ready for
prime time.   It seems very prone to random outages and requires a lot
of coordination between ISPs.  We've even had issues with different OS
revs on routers playing nicely with each other when it comes to
multicast.  We use it with great success on campus, even around the
state, helps to be in a really small state ;), where things can be carefully
controlled.  I2 players are pretty good, but I1 is way behind.

I honestly don't know why it's taking so long to catch on.

Mark