[Xastir] New England feed down?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Apr 12 11:54:43 EDT 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Steve Friis wrote:

> I guess where I was going is should I be using a different server, would
> doing so relieve traffic congestion for the main server(s) or are these
> general broadcast packets? What one should I be using? What port?

It depends on what you want.  There are two firenet servers.  They
are separate from the main APRS-IS servers, and in fact have many
more objects on them (like 10,000 more) than the main APRS-IS
servers.

They are connected to the main APRS-IS so that you can get messages
between the two, and you can see all of the APRS-IS traffic on
Firenet.  I think ports 2023 and 14580 are available on both Firenet
servers.  I often connect to 14580 and then filter the feed so that
less is getting sent to me down the pipe.

You could connect to any of the four primary APRS-IS servers.
first.aprs.net through fourth.aprs.net.  I think they use ports
10151 (full w/history), 10152 (full w/o history), and probably 14580
(filtered).

There are a whole slew of secondary servers.  I don't have pointers
to the lists for those.

There's another whole slew of regional and local servers.

Some people like Tom (and I) connect to multiple servers and get
different pieces from each server, using filtering.