[Xastir] Can't open display error

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Apr 27 11:20:24 EDT 2005

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, KK6RW wrote:

>     I've done a Cygwin update and Xastir CVS update and now after the
> configure/make/make-install commands. I receive a "Can't open display"
> error. Xastir then exits.
>
>     I was previously running the online Tiger maps. Has there been a change
> made to the code that I haven't followed up? My last update was 2 months or
> so.

There are nearly constant changes to the code, but none that I can
think of that should affect that.  It might have been a Cygwin
update that broke things for you.  That's common.

You're running the X11 server first before you try to start up
Xastir, right?

You're running Xastir as the same user that started up the X11
server?

See what "xhost" says when you type that in a bash window with the
X11 server up and running.

If you've got a username problem you might try "xhost localhost"
before running Xastir, which will make any user on that particular
box able to open windows on the X11 display.  Note that there are
security implications for doing this if you're using a multi-user
box: People can do things like fake login screens to snag passwords,
all kinds of horrible things.  Use this sparingly.