[Xastir] Fun with XP usernames- solved!

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Feb 7 13:50:40 EST 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Tom Tessier wrote:

> When Cygwin installs, it names the user's ~ (root directory) after the XP
> username - even if it HAS A SPACE IN THE NAME.

Line 47 in README.win32 talks about this.  Perhaps it should be made
much more noticeable?  We've run into this type of problem on the
list at least a couple of times before.

> So, the obvious work-around is to create a username with no spaces. However,
> that might be a bit much for some  users, I'll see what's in Cygwin that
> might allow a workaround there, like having it put in an underscore when it
> sees a space in the username during it's initial configuration, or doing
> something with the environment.

It'd be great to have a work-around.  I haven't looked into this
particular issue, as I can always create a new login for my testing.
I could imagine cases where you couldn't though, like a company
login with first/lastname or similar.