[Xastir] Corrupt FCC database

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Feb 17 10:51:53 EST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Bob Snyder wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 09:59:18AM -0800, Bill Vodall wrote:
>
> > I looked.  Honest I did.  But I looked in "stable"..   :-)
> >
> > That's not magic, that's PERL...
>
> "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
>   Arthur C. Clarke - Profiles of the Future

I always liked that quote!

Hopefully most people know that besides being known for his science
fiction writings, Mr. Clarke is also the discoverer of the Clarke
Belt, a particular orbit directly above the equator in which you can
put an object, that object remaining stationary over one spot on the
earth.  Makes aiming a parabolic dish at it rather simple.

The objects are in orbit at the same rotational period as the
earth's rotation.  That's how we get our WAAS GPS transmissions,
Dish or DirectTV satellite TV, other types of communications
satellites in geostationary orbit.

I had heard that he was at one time also the national table tennis
champion of Sri Lanka.  Important stuff to know!

I'm not sure how many science books he wrote, if any.

Issaac Asimov is one of the sci-fi writers that also specialized in
science writings.  I don't recall seeing anything except sci-fi from
Arthur C. Clarke.  Used to read a lot of his books.