[Xastir] YAFRODU

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Feb 19 19:02:42 EST 2005

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005, Dan Brown wrote:

> A "zoom to map showing all known stations" feature?

Never thought of that.  I'm not sure how useful that'd be.
Thoughts?

> Also - dunno if this has been discussed in the past, but, perhaps a
> "default" world map included with the distro so that new users see
> /something/ when they start up Xastir for the very first time?

It's been talked about.  I don't know of any
dosAPRS/winAPRS/PocketAPRS maps that we could use for that which
wouldn't have restrictions on them.  Find one and we could do that.
The closest we have is the World map that JJ put together, but that
one is rather large and is in Shapefile format.

> And another - Perhaps a reasonable default zoom for tiger so that when
> someone selects it, or other off the net maps, for the first time they
> actually get a map displayed, rather than a timeout when trying to render a
> high value zoom with all the details?  Maybe this is something just for the
> documentation, and or maybe just deserving of a pop-up warning "high zooms
> with this many details may result in timeouts" message?

I think those might be overkill, but maybe that's just 'cuz I'm used
to how things work already.  This would be adding a bunch of code to
handle one specific online map source.  I would think that
documentation changes might be about all we'd want to do here.

> And, yet another...  some prescribed/configurable method for eliminating or
> deselecting details from tiger maps as you go to higher zooms, again to
> prevent timeouts?  Perhaps have a "max zoom level to display XYZ feature"
> for each of the tigermap features?

I get the idea that you use Tigermaps a lot.  ;-)

How about switching to local Shapefile maps created from Tiger data,
so you don't have to go through all these hassles?  That's what I
do.

Again, I wouldn't want to go through the trouble for just one map
source.  If it would apply to multiple types, these might be worth
adding.  Then there's the Xastir-2 back-end database idea, where
vector maps could be stored in the database in a fast-to-fetch
manner.  In that case enough parameters could be stored with each
piece so that more advanced zooming could be done, and the changes
would apply to all vector maps.  Well worth the effort in that case.

I wouldn't want to slow down progress though if someone wants to
work on any of these.  They are all improvements, and if something
thinks they're worth the effort to implement, more power to them!

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer